Top money tips to know before landing in Cuba:
- ATMs are available in most cities, but they only accept VISA cards. No MasterCard, no debit cards.
- Be sure to load your credit card before travelling to avoid your bank's high credit card interest rate charges.
- Foreign currency can be changed at government run Cadecas. These kiosks can typically be spotted by the long queues extending out from their doors.
- US currency will incur an additional 10% exchange fee, its better to take Canadian dollars, Euros, or GBP.
- Cuba has two currencies; the CUC and CUP. 1 CUC = 24 CUP. Most tourist venues (casa particulares, hotels, restaurants, museums, etc.) accept CUCs. The more local oriented shops and restaurants/cafes accept CUPs.
- Watch street cash converters who may try to give you the wrong currency, old bills or a bad rate, so its best to go to the Cadecas to exchange money.